Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Mile-o'-handwork 1 -- genesis


Several years ago my art-and-walking pal Debby Levine, who is a master knitter, had a brilliant idea -- she would make a mile of knitting.  We talked about this idea over a period of weeks as we walked.  The more we kicked the tires, the more we realized how big a task that would be.  She revised her plans to make the knitting narrower, but it was still daunting. Then in a moment of temporary insanity I said to her "You make a half mile of knitting and I'll make a half mile of crochet."

I thought this would be a good way to use up those bits and pieces of yarn left over from afghans, and for a while that was going great, until I used up all my bits and pieces.  Then I started grabbing all the yarns from grab bag and crocheting them.  My crochet is about four inches wide, most happy when I'm working with low-rent acrylic yarn.  I roll the finished strip into a jellyroll until it gets wide enough to fit into a banker's box.

My grandson thinks these bundles look like cakes, so that's what I call them.  At any given moment I have several going, one in a bag in the car to take with me to meetings or other public events, one in the studio, a couple on the sofa where I watch TV, one in the living room to work on if company comes.

I tried to resolve that I would never buy any yarn for this project but simply use leftovers.  But about a year ago I got desperate for raw materials and bent my principles enough to go to the Good Garbage Store's going-out-of-business sale, where I got about 50 skeins of yarn for about 35 cents each.

I have five or six boxes so far, five cakes to a box.  A couple of years ago I took everything I had finished over to the house of a friend with a really long room, and we unrolled and measured all the cakes.  It seemed that I was maybe 20% of the way to my half mile, which didn't seem like all that much progress for all the time I was putting in.  But I am not discouraged.  I will keep crocheting, and I trust that the Lord will provide yarn like manna in the wilderness.  And someday I will display the work.



6 comments:

  1. What length of knitting has your friend done?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. neither of us has measured precisely but I think she's not as far along as I am. later in the week I'll show you some of what she has knitted.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting project! They do look like cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to go look in the attic (second floor) to see if I have yarn to send to you. I was told by the zoning person--that is a second floor and not the attic--and thereby taxable as the "second story" code. It looks like an attic to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you finish you can have a Kentucky yarn bombing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of skeins of red heart acrylic that i can send to you.

    ReplyDelete