Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Christmas is coming


My longtime faithful readers know that every year I make personalized Christmas ornaments for my family and friends.  Often the task of actually making the ornaments is less onerous than the task for figuring out what to make, because after 40+ years of this project, when every year has to be different from the ones before, it gets harder and harder to come up with new ideas.  But this year I was fortunate to be browsing around in the craft store when I found some raw materials that suggested their own finished product.

This week I got down to business, found all the necessary tools and supplies -- and didn't even have to go to the store to buy anything new -- and started work.

So far, things are proceeding smoothly.  I did have a near-disaster over the weekend, when I reached for a tube of paint and was dismayed to find that it had spurted a leak at its base and there was a huge blob of yellow on the front of my shirt.  I raced to the sink and scrubbed and scrubbed with a vegetable brush, and I think got it all out (haven't run it through the wash yet).  But at least it didn't spring its leak in its previous position, on the carpet.

Many little beads have escaped onto the floor, but one of these days I'll send Isaac down with a flashlight and a little dish and let him retrieve as many as he can.

For several years I've also been making an ornament for one of my blog readers.  If you would like to be in the running this year, just leave a comment on the blog between now and Friday midnight.

16 comments:

  1. I throughly enjoy reading your blog. I have read every entry. I only discovered your blog within this past year. Your ornaments are very original. I like that they are usually non-traditional in their colors and design and can be used anytime of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried to figure out what you're making from the eclectic tools and supplies! I'd love to win one of your ornaments. Thanks for the giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I'd love to win one of your ornaments. I do handmade ones every year too, not as many as you I think, about a dozen maybe, and have only been doing it about 10 years or so, so I still have lots of things I want to try that I haven't yet. My criteria this year is that I have to make them with stuff I already have! Thanks for offering to share your handwork!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Long-time bead worker here. If Isaac doesn’t find all the beads, take a vacuum hose and wrap a light piece of cotton over the opening and use the vacuum to retrieve the beads. The original hint was to use a nylon stocking, but who wears those anymore!

    I enjoy your blog and your thoughts on art and shows

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice would it be to be the one that gets that ornament. A nice thing to hang on a nice place in my House.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Of course I would like one of your ornaments! Who wouldn’t want one? By the way if you put a piece of nylon hose over you vaccum cleaner hose, you can suck up the loose beads on the carpet without crawling around on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here is my comment.... so I am in the "race". Do you make an ornament for your self each year? And do they hang on their own special tree? 40 is enough to decorate a tree....

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's nothing better than a handmade gift....I'm recycling felted sweaters this year into trees. Your blog is a "must read" for me. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely idea! Can't wait to see the final results hanging on MY tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have so much respect and joy in reading of this wonderful gift each year Kathy... your family and friends are blessed! The best gift though is your blog, and all of the many things we learn from you throughout the year!
    We are blessed!
    bethany

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although I am in denial that Christmas is on the horizon, I would love to have one of your ornaments hanging on our tree to remind me of all the smiles, knowledge and moments of contemplation I have gotten from your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fun! I would LOVE to win an ornament. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your blog has inspired me to do more art. My new kick is drawing. A daily drawing. Today, I even doodled in the margin of the teacher's manual I was working through! Happy, relaxed Christmas season to you. Kathy S.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love reading your blog, an inspiring insight into a richly textured life. A joyful Christmas and best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would be such fun to have one of the ornaments that I read about every year. Your sharing is a lovely tradition.

    ReplyDelete