Saturday, December 14, 2019

Last week on Art With a Needle


I spent four days at the retreat center, an outing that always comes at the most inconvenient time -- we have a perpetual reservation for the second week in December.  Yes, it might be more efficient to be at home working on Christmas ornaments or getting a start on holiday baking or just cleaning the studio, but a small group of us write it on the calendar a year ahead of time and we show up, even though it may mean missing another meeting or driving in from the retreat center for a meeting we need to attend. 

I didn't accomplish much art, but I did go through many, many piles of accumulated stuff and got the stuff read, sorted, acted upon or thought about, as the case may be.  A huge grocery bag full of discarded paper to go in the recycling bin.  I also did my good deed for the joint causes of friendship and literature by reading the draft of a mystery novel written by the husband of one of my art pals.  I'm a good editor, if I do say so myself, and I love mystery stories, so I was happy to spend time with this book and think about what I liked, what I felt was not fully explained, where I wanted more detail, and similar global issues.

I read a neat book about hand embroidery that one of my friends had brought along, and got a bunch of ideas that I'd like to experiment with.  The same friend showed me some little dolls she had gotten from Guatemala, dressed in bits of handwoven fabrics, which in turn inspired me to make a little doll as a daily miniature.

little dolls from Guatemala -- maybe one inch tall?
my favorite miniature -- the dress is a scrap from Vickie's quilt
























































Since returning home, I've been sewing on ornaments.  All the international ones are in the mail, but several in the US still have to be sent, plus the hand-delivered ones in town.  Left it too late this year, I guess.

Susan Sawatzky was so kind as to send me a link to a YouTube video on calligraphy, but when I went to the site I was told the video is unavailable.  Sob.  I'd love some new ideas on calligraphy.  This week, preoccupied with affairs of state, I have mostly been copying the Constitution.  Sounds boring, but we could all probably do with a refresher course in what that wonderful document says and thus how our government works.
 

3 comments:

  1. well shucks and I can't find it again either but may I suggest this for your next attempt.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elSvkGnL1Ig

    ReplyDelete
  2. or maybe this!

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUE5iZUjYWg

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those little Guatemala dolls and have a little collection of them. South Bend Indiana used to have a Ethnic Festival every July with venders selling items and food from all over the globe. Whenever I see these little dolls I buy them. I love to look at them, and hope that someday I will find an art project that is worthy of me adding them to it, lol.

    I used to make and sell dolls made of clothes pins. I loved doing that. It's gratification when you can make something you love and sell or gift it to someone that appreciates them.
    Merry Christmas
    Carol

    ReplyDelete