Friday, March 11, 2011
Package project update
I wrote on January 1 that my regular art project for the year would be to make packages. I haven't been posting photos of my packages, but we're now in the eleventh week of the year and it may be time for a progress report.
I've found in previous regular art projects that it takes a little while to settle in and find your rhythm. Several of the packages I've made resemble one another, but a couple are starting to show a little more originality and character. And even the ones that seem to be variations on the same theme have little differences and twists that I find intriguing.
My rules were that at least once a week, I would make a package out of things that were lying around. I hoped this project might be an impetus to clean my studio, because stuff could be removed from circulation without actually having to be thrown away, which I often find painful.
a quilt date lesson. It had a nice bead sewed in, so I had been reluctant to throw it out and it had been sitting on the edge of my sewing table for weeks.
Many of my other packages have been made of other packages -- it always hurts to see how much we throw away after we've opened up the box, the plastic bag, the envelope.