Monday, May 20, 2013

Modern quilting -- read it now!

Last week I wrote about an article in the Wall Street Journal on Modern Quilting and said that unfortunately you have to be a WSJ subscriber to get the article online.  Messages on the Quiltart email list have pointed out that you can in fact find it, and I tried to provide those links for you.



UPDATE:  Well, folks, I am flummoxed.  Twice I have found the full article online (on different sites) by going to google and typing in "modern quilters stress simplicity, edgy subjects."  But on both occasions when I have tried to link there in my blog post, the link does not deliver you to the full article, just to the WSJ site with a subscriber access block.

If you really want to read the damn article, try the google search.   Try some of the links that show up on the search page and I hope you can find it.  And then I hope you think it's been worth the trouble.

Thanks, WSJ.  (Unlike the NYTimes, which allows nonsubscribers to read several free articles per month.)

11 comments:

  1. I could only get the first two paragraphs. Needed to subscribe to read the rest of the article. It's a pity because you always make me think about this thing I do called quilting and I would love to read the rest of what you had to say. Never mind, the money has to go round at some point or the world might stop spinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't read any of it without being a subscriber.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK -- I've updated the link -- hope this one works. (we'll keep trying!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another way to get to the whole article: go to Google and search for wsj modern quilt. The top wsj link will let you read the entire article free.

    I appreciated reading your background to the article--I couldn't figure out why the WSJ would write about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the article the way Elizabeth did. Reading the article made me feel invisible-where do the rest of us fit in? Do the modern quilters put us in the traditional category? But, it is nice they are enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was able to read it this time by going to Google. NIce mention of you and your blog. I have a friend, who is rather traditional in style, who went to this show in TX. She told me that I should enter next year, that my work would fit right it. I don't think of my work as being "modern" in that way. but as contemporary art quilting. She also said that they gave away a ton of money for prizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the difference may have to do with the browser, the computer or operating system. On the Ipad with Safari, I got directed to subscribe, but on the desk computer using Google Chrome, I could access the article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One more comment: Anyone who can't read the WSJ article isn't missing anything. It's full of stereotypes, oversimplification, and ignorance of the history of quilting. It's "modern" to refer to current events? Really? There are traditional blocks with names like Fifty Four Forty or Fight, Kansas Troubles, etc., etc., etc. But recognizing that would have required some research, just as focusing on some of the better designed but less controversial quilts would have required a commitment to something besides superficial reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I cannot get the article.
    I've typed in everything everybody mentioned and I could only see the slide show, nothing else. ??? oh well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah -- or anybody else -- send me your email and I will send you the article.

      Delete
  10. I have tried every suggested method for accessing the article, and I couldn't get any of them to work. I'd love for you to send me a copy.

    ReplyDelete