Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Need help from Canada!


I've written before about my ongoing volunteer work to help catalog the International Honor Quilt project, organized by artist Judy Chicago, in which hundreds of panels were made to commemorate women and women's organizations.  Part of my job is to document what the panels look like, and to accurately transcribe any lettering.

I've had to learn how to type characters with diacritical marks (ä, ç, ê, etc.) and in non-Roman alphabets (θ Σ Δ Ω π).  It took me four emails back and forth with my Hebrew advisor to get this one right -- הדסה -- because the type-Hebrew keyboard I found on the internet didn't have names on the letters and I had to find something that looked like the one on the panel, except in a different font so the letters didn't look exactly alike.

Today I need help!  Here's a panel, made in Povuknituk, Québec, (aren't you impressed by that accent mark?) depicting Inuit culture with Inuit words around the edges.  I don't even know which way is up with the characters.

Who knows somebody who could help me (a) translate and (b) type in this lettering for our database?  Many thanks, much glory and maybe even a bit of loot if you can solve my problem du jour.

And while we're here, check out the beautiful embroidery on the central figure!




4 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is French Canadian if you don't get someone who can directly help you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a job! I hope somebody can help you. Do we get the translation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. John grew up on Baffin Island, studied printmaking at Yale, worked for the Pangnirtung Cooperative. http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/ccn/info/Business/Triad/john_houston.html

    ReplyDelete