Friday, January 1, 2016

Crabby at the refrigerator / Happy New Year!


NO, not crabby because there's 200 pounds of leftover turkey in the refrigerator, and no ice cream.  Crabby because at our recent retreat I discovered this new addition to the decor -- refrigerator magnets that you can use to make poetry.

I have enjoyed such toys in the past in other people's kitchens, although I've never had a set myself.  It has always been fun to write a poem while waiting for the water to boil.  But this set was suspiciously lacking in half the concepts I thought should be available to me as a poet -- especially a poet who's taking a week to focus on art.






















Where is the discouragement?  Where is the frustration?  Where are the obstacles to overcome?  the problems to be worked through?  How could I write an honest poem if all the words were sappy and positive?  Would it be great art if Hamlet said, "To be, that is wonderful!  No questions!"

Don't know about you, but sometimes I have small dreams.  Sometimes I feel the urge to step right up and shout "No, I won't do it today!"

I want a poetry magnet set that allows me to write poems along the lines of :

Negative attitude
no focus, no goals
not enough determination
can't see a future
don't want to work

Tomorrow, maybe excellence
today, trash TV 
junk food and a bottle of beer.

Happy New Year!!  May 2016 have less junk food and more excellence, but let's don't get discouraged if that doesn't happen every day.

5 comments:

  1. What you need is to make magnets out of the kind of elements you use in your daily collages, so that you can combine fridge poetry with haiku and collage - a kind of fripohallage!
    I so enjoy your posts, thank you. All the best for a great 2016.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like that 2nd poem (haiku?)....I may have to make it up (with attribution of course!) and hang with something else I I have in mind to make up and frame for art - "just because you can, doesn't mean you should"

    I like Olga's idea! My suggestion was simply a label maker and a roll of sticky-back magnetic tape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail -- that's what poetry is for!! of course you may make it up -- and don't bother to attribute, just send me a picture. happy new year!

      Delete
  3. Kathy- Thank you for a good laugh first thing on the first day of the year. I do so admire and enjoy your writing. You have always been my inspriation--the reason I began a blog. Thank you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes us humans feel better...

    ReplyDelete