Saturday, September 7, 2019

Last week on Art With a Needle


I discovered -- and bought -- a new product at the fabric store this week, a thin non-woven polypropylene.  I asked the clerk what people were doing with this and she said the bottoms of upholstered furniture, or as background for fancy bulletin board displays.  I used it to cover stretcher bars and mount a small quilt.

I sewed the quilt to the poly fabric all along the top edge and a ways down each side.  I have not tested the tearing properties of the poly and hope I haven't overloaded its capacity; I did make a point of using large stitches.  The quilt is only 26 inches square, so it isn't terribly heavy.  I will hope for the best.

can you see the needle at right, stitching the quilt to the covered canvas?
I wrote last week about my so-far unsatisfying attempts to use Arabic script in my daily calligraphy.  Irene commented that I should try flipping the letters and writing left-to-right (among other things, it would keep my hand out of the wet ink).  Good idea, and I will try it.  Thanks! 

I also wrote last week about my new haul of air-drying clay and showed you the first little guy made from it.  Monica left a comment:  "I really like your miniature.  It brings a smile to my face, so I have saved it in my photos (I hope that is fine with you.)"  It certainly is, Monica.  In general I'm happy to let any of my readers use stuff from my blog, as long as you mention my name! 

I made all my miniatures for this week from the clay, experimenting with inserting stuff into the clay and adding paint to the dry figures.  I guess my favorite is Monday, the little guy in the hooded cloak with the shepherd's staff.   Already I'm learning how the material works and how to get a better finish, without cracks or burrs.  This is a lot of fun! 

3 comments:

  1. In NZ we use the polypropylene as reusable shopping bags. I often carry 10kg in these and sometimes more. They last repeated washing in the cold water cycle of the washing machine. They'll usually last a couple of years of weekly use. So yes, durable

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting use. How will the quilt be attached?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. see the third photo -- stitched to the front of the frame. (the quilt is black so it's hard to see, but it's sitting in front, with the edge flush with the top of the black-covered stretcher bars)

      Delete