Saturday, September 14, 2019

Last week on Art With a Needle


It was not a good week for Art With a Needle's proprietor.  I fell on a busted-up patch of sidewalk and broke my ankle in two places, fortunately not enough to require surgery but unfortunately with enough collateral tendon and ligament damage to make for a long recovery.  Here's my moon boot, complete with an air pump that inflates bladders around my heel and ankle to hold everything rigid inside.  I can walk on it and there's no pain, just aches after a long day.  (Liquor helps.)























Last week I showed you my cascading-letters calligraphy and asked whether it's a good idea to just keep doing something that you love to do and looks good, or whether you should move on to something else if you can't think of a new twist.

My readers came to my rescue.  Artquilter left a comment: "You have lots of letters from  your dad's collection and your own, maybe it's time to "draw" some of those."  And that got me to thinking...

What if I used some of my metal type to print onto the page, then added the cascade of hand-drawn letters?  (After all, it is a daily calligraphy project.)  (And yes, to the readers who couldn't believe the letters are drawn by hand -- after all, it is a daily calligraphy project.)























Here's my favorite miniature of the week:


5 comments:

  1. Poor you! At least it doesn't hurt and you can get a lot of sit-down work done. And yes, a glass of wine can never hurt. I like what you're doing with these letters, combining your father's and your hand drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh, I hated to see that boot!! Best luck for a painless recovery.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. OUCH! Hope it heals quickly and well. Is that your sewing machine "driving" foot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my goodness, I was reading todays post and you mentioned your ankle and I had to come see! I so feel your pain. You should look at my Pics & pieces blog...in the posts of March, April, and May of 2018! That is only about half a dozen posts. I fell on ice, and broke my leg in angle area, had to have surgery and have two pins and a plate in that area, I got fracture blisters and got a big wound from that and could not put weight on that foot for ages. I had a boot very similar to that. Then factor in that my husband had a stroke in 2016 and could not do laundry, cook, or anything. It was such a hard time...but we survived.

    ReplyDelete