Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A new project

I wrote last week about the big sale at our art supply shop, and how the line moved so slowly that I  devised an art project while stalled in front of the sketchbook shelf.  I bought two tiny sketchbooks, 3 by 4 inches, and decided they would be just the right size for tiny collage compositions. 

You probably know my fondness for daily art, projects where you set yourself a rule of making a certain kind of art every day (or week, or whatever the rule says).  I've done many such projects, but have usually started them on January 1 and worked on them for a year.  This time my commitment lasts only 50 days, because that's how many pages are in the sketchbook.

My project is to find a haiku in the daily newspaper and illustrate it.  Not too demanding on the face of it, since we have two papers coming into the house.  But it does require me to actually read the paper the day it arrives (always an objective, but not always realized).  And it should require that my husband has also read it; he got a little crabby when he came upon a big hole on the other side of the red car.

So here are my first couple of days worth of art:


6 comments:

  1. This makes me realize that on rare occasions being stalled in a line can be a good thing. These are fantastic! ...a poignant and fun way to document what's in the news.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great way to keep a diary. Someone may enjoy this 100 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool idea! I have s jillion little sketchbooks. They're always so darned cute...

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fun! Do the rules say the lines all have to come from the same story?

    Mary Anne in Kentucky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Anne -- yes, they do. so far all the photos have also come from the same story as the poem -- not sure whether I will keep that up or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are awesome! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete