Working first on the bottom part, I found a little bit of preexisting piecing that seemed to be about the right height, added some extra at left and right, and sewed it to the right-hand module.
To augment the top part, I needed a wedge-shaped piece that would be wider toward the right. It would be tall enough that I needed some complexity at the right, so I sewed a slice from a strip set to another strip set and put it in place.
When I trimmed the top edge of the new big module and saw how much of the wedge was left, the top right section needed more complexity. I shifted the ruler and left myself an extra quarter-inch in case the new seams took up too much height.
I opened two seams, sliced the module open, pieced in new pink strips, and sewed everything back together again.
I do start by making a bunch of strip sets, which makes parts of the process more efficient, but I don't rely exclusively on them. This style of piecing uses a lot of diagonals and irregular patterns; I don't want the regularity of a grid. So whenever I get too big an expanse of plain right-angle strips I try to break it up and go in another direction. I know you can find the long seams joining the smaller pieces if you look hard, but I want you to have to look hard.
I keep a small cutting mat on my sewing machine table, a small design wall at my left hand, and a small ironing surface that I can use by swiveling my chair. So I can work for quite a while without having to get up.
I turn on trash TV, or maybe check out what opera is being broadcast from the Met on satellite radio, and let myself sink into a zen state while I sew. It's the best part of making a quilt.