Wednesday, December 25, 2013
Christmas ornaments -- the reveal
For decades I've been making Christmas ornaments for family and friends, and it's an integral part of my art calendar. After so many years it's always a challenge to come up with an idea that's a bit different from what I've done in the past, and then actually making the ornaments occupies a fair chunk of time in the fall. (Read about some of my past adventures here.) The rules are simple: each ornament has the initial or full name of the recipient, plus the year.
This year I was inspired by a piece of fabric covered with text that my sister gave me a long time ago. She used it for a while as a curtain, but after she moved it decided to come live with me. I used it for a quilt (now traveling in the SAQA Text Messages show) and then I used some of the leftover bits for another quilt.
In making that second quilt I enjoyed incorporating tiny, tiny bits of fabric -- sometimes only one letter -- into my compositions, working with a tweezer to place the bits under the needle as I sewed. Although my objective in that piece was to fragment the text into illegibility, I realized that I could go the other way and piece the fragments into words, in fact, into the names I needed for my ornaments.
So I went back to my bits of text fabric, now getting quite small and obviously used, in search of individual letters. I tried to change fonts in mid-name for that ransom-note look, although a couple of people got their whole name in the same type. I ran out of some capital letters before I ran out of people, but otherwise had no trouble.