Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A new direction

While I was in South Carolina last week I had the opportunity to see a show of work by Terry Jarrard-Dimond and her husband Tom Dimond, at the University of South Carolina Upstate in Spartanburg.  I have been familiar with Terry's work for some time and knew that she made a big change in direction about a year ago, so I was looking forward to seeing this new body of work.

And I was not disappointed.  Her new quilts make a cohesive and impressive show, all based on dots and stripes and executed in dye-painting.  While her earlier works were hard-edged and tightly composed, these are looser, more ambivalent and totally gorgeous. 

Terry Jarrard-Dimond, What Isn't Seen

Terry Jarrard-Dimond, Shelter (detail below)

Raw-edge pieces were occasionally sewed on top of larger expanses of fabric to interrupt or echo the underlying patterns.

Terry Jarrard-Dimond, Hold That Thought (detail below)

Some of the pieces were accented with hand-stitching.

Terry said in a gallery talk that after she spent a year making several huge pieces for the Color Improvisations show, curated by Nancy Crow and currently touring in Europe, she was ready for something different.  Readers of her blog have followed her weekly experiments in surface design throughout 2010, which led to the works in this show. 

I'm sorry to say that the show will close on Friday, but keep your eye out for Terry's new work to appear in other venues.

I'll write tomorrow about Tom Dimond's work in the same show.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing these images and thoughts on the work. I was very pleased that you were able to see the show and be a part of our Gallery Talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry's new work is awesome! I see hints of old barns, shutters, and sheds, and it takes me back to the rural area where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous photography. Fabulous quilts. Also, I lived in Spartanburg for 30 years and got my B. A. at USC-Upstate, so it's fun to learn that you've just been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I could have seen it,not just for the GORGEOUS art, but for the view into an artist's creative journey. Very cool evolution.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could see this exhibit in person. I've admired Terry's work for awhile now and am interested to see this new approach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I soooooooo wished I could see these pieces with my own eyes, this work is really startling, but still very Terry. I loved your observations about the work, it made me feel like I'd gotten an even closer look at it.

    ReplyDelete