Monday, February 1, 2016

ART 101 -- success!!


I mentioned to you that I'm taking a drawing class this semester.  So far I've learned that I like line a lot more than I like shading, that I like pen a lot more than I like pencil, and that my skills of visual observation and memory need a lot of improvement.  So last week I was astounded to realize that I have actually learned something on that last count.

We were privileged to attend a little salon/soiree in honor of the violinist appearing with the Louisville Orchestra last weekend, Augustin Hadelich.  The high point of the evening was a performance, and though we were kind of crammed in to a small room with obstructed views, I did have a good line of sight to Hadelich's face.  He has a striking face, and his deep-set eyes were in shadow most of the time due to the overhead lighting.


















I set myself a challenge -- could I pay close attention to that face and memorize the details so that I could draw him when I got home?  With that assignment in mind, I was able to focus on his features and force myself to articulate a description (I know I do better at analysis and memory when I translate visual impressions to words).  Then the next day I whipped out my little sketchbook and did this:






















Now that I compare the sketch to the photo, I think the only thing I got wrong was the lower lip -- the vertical dimension is right, but it's a bit too wide horizontally.  If I had been working in pencil I could fix it, but since it's ink I'll let it stand.

You might think this is an insignificant accomplishment, but I am over the moon!  This is the first time in my life I have ever drawn a picture of an actual person that ended up looking like him.  Please join my celebration, even if you may think it's not much to write home about.



8 comments:

  1. I'll certainly join your celebration. This is a fine likeness, and so impressive that you did it from memory. I'd love it if you were to share more of your drawing experiments/experiences with us. You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look over to the right on the sidebar there's a link you can click to my daily art blog. I try to post a week's worth of drawings on Saturday or Sunday.

      Delete
    2. Duh - I had forgotten about your sidebar. It's a great project and I will enjoy watching it evolve. Your drawings are terrific!

      Delete
  2. This is going to be a great journey for you! I love the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are brave to work with pen... though perhaps it's actually better that way because you can't agonize over what you've done. You learn and move on. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! You have a nice route!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done. It inspires me to have a go.

    ReplyDelete