A year ago I started working on a new project: memorializing the 2,662 coronavirus deaths in Kentucky in 2020. I went to my stash of polka dot fabrics, the floating circles calling to mind the mysterious virus particles floating around in our air. I made 2,660 tiny postage stamp quilts, each measuring approximately 1 3/4" by 1 1/4". I counted them over and over as I bundled and packed them into cigar boxes, putting them away until I got around to stitching the whole thing into a huge grid.
After the New Year I hauled the project out again, determined to finish. To my dismay I realized that somewhere along the way, 70 bits had gone AWOL. I know I counted them at least ten times along the way, but they were not there when it was time to get serious. I looked on the floor. I looked under things on my work table. I looked on the shelves where the project had been stowed during the holidays. No bits. I cussed, I fretted. Finally I sewed 70 new bits (thus ensuring that someday in the near future I will find the missing ones...) and finished the quilt.
Now the only step remaining is to sew loops across the top of the quilt, so it can be hung from the rod. And to disassemble the work surface that I constructed for this project, an old vinyl tablecloth spread across my entire sewing machine surround so the bits didn't get caught in any tiny gaps between surfaces.
Then I think I'm done with the sewing machine for a while. Back to hand stitching. I have lots of ideas that I need to get going on!