Thursday, December 27, 2018

Thinking about daily art 3


Well, you know I'm going to nag you about daily art, because it's that time of year.  Although you can start a daily art project any time -- your birthday, the day after you retire, the fourth of July -- it's easy to do it on the first of the year.  That's when I always start mine, and it makes it so much easier to label and remember my projects.

I have found daily art so rewarding in the almost-two decades I've been doing it that I encourage all my art pals to try it.  The key to a successful project, I have found, it to make the rules fit your life.  For instance, if you like to go backpacking on the Appalachian Trail, don't choose a project that requires a sewing machine every day.  I've written a lot about how to set your rules -- you might want to read about that here and here.

But for those who are still skeptical about whether a daily art project is too daunting, too difficult, too scary, I have an idea for you.  I'm going to do this mini-project in 2019 in addition to my more rigorous daily art (which I'll write about soon), so we can work together!






















Like so many art projects, this one required a trip to the store.  I bought 450 tiny ziplock bags, 1.5 x 2 inches, just big enough to put a little something in each day.  And that's the plan: every day I will put a little something into a bag.  I will mark it with the date (haven't decided yet how to do this, but I suspect it will involve my other new toy, purchased last month, a six-digit rubber stamp).






















I can see how a project like this could involve more rules.  For instance, I could have to actually make the something (a little drawing? a little fabric doodad? a sculpey clay figure?).  Or I could have to find it on the street (thus forcing myself to take walks) or cut it out of the newspaper (a little photo? a memorable phrase?) or find it among my junk drawers, button boxes and random piles of stuff.  If I had bought the next-larger size of bag, 2 x 3 inches, it would open even more possibilities.

But for now I think I'll have very few rules and see what happens.

I invite you to join me in this adventure!

5 comments:

  1. I have tried many times to comment here but--well, your settings do not allow me in--I am giving it one more try. You are the one who got me started with daily art or just daily words. I like the idea of the tiny bags. So, I will find a way to participate in this new adventure--

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I have literally 1000s of tiny 'card sleeves' 2 5/8" x 3 5/8" that I bought on eBay by mistake. I actually wanted the page pocket format. Tiny art works will be a fun way to use some sleeves up.I might even be able to persuade a group of like minded friends to have a go too, I'll provide the card sleeves and they make the art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like an excellent plan -- always great to find a use for something you already have on hand! Send me a progress report after you've gotten started!

      Delete
  3. Just a test to see if my post goes through.
    And, I’m in on the daily art.
    And, I bought a 6 year stamp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The way I finally got a post to go through was to press “preview” first and then, “publish.”
    I have never had trouble posting in the past, so not sure what the glitch might be.

    ReplyDelete