Monday, June 11, 2012

Textiles in a Tube 6 -- the winners

I've written about each piece in Textiles in a Tube 2, the exhibit at Riverworks Gallery in Greenville SC, for which I was the juror.  Now it's time for the winners.  In third place,

Paula Baumann, Pulled in All Directions, detail below























A cloud of color, silk organza dyed in various shibori resist patterns, unpressed so that it took a 3-D form -- I liked the color, the shadows, the ethereal quality.

In second place,

Deborah Bein, In Light Of, detail below

This piece is a two-sided composition of discharged fabric, its imagery enhanced by the quilting line.  It was seen before in a national show, but only the front side; in TNT it was suspended in space so that both sides were visible.  Yes, I know it isn't red, but I've always loved the mysterious quality of discharge shapes on black.

And the first place,

Pat Pauly, Flying Solo 2, detail below

Pat is known for her pieced quilts that combine commercial and artist-made fabrics, dyed, screenprinted and painted with motifs in many different scales.  I liked the juxtaposition of three very different design sensibilities: the feather shape at the top, its white background patterned with small overall marks, and the bottom section with its sort of regular circles.  A beautiful composition that holds together many disparate elements in harmony.

If you're anywhere in the vicinity of Greenville, I hope you can drop by and see the show, up through July 15.




3 comments:

  1. superb choices! I am proud to had a work include among these stellar pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled on to your blog. It is lovely. You have a new regular reader.

    Just an aside, and I hope this doesn't sound snarky, I am so happy you have a separate blog for food. I am not sure why, but it irks me when fiber artist blogs contain pictures of their cooking.

    Now that that is out of the way, I look forward to reading about your adventures in creative-land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aly -- welcome!

    you may also be happy to learn that my granddaughter appears in this blog only if she's sewing, and my other relatives' babies appear only if they're sitting on quilts. If they're eating pickles they appear in the food blog.

    ReplyDelete