I decided to set few rules for this project, because I had no idea where it would go and didn't want to constrain myself before I realized what was happening. Because I was away from home the first week of the year, I decided to take the minimum of supplies and to work small.
I am blessed with a huge supply of library card catalog cards, gleaned when two local libraries pitched their paper files and went all-digital, so I grabbed a handful and stuck them in my bag with a scissors, tweezers and glue stick. I also brought a date stamp and stamp pad, thinking that this would be a good way to keep track of the collages as they accumulated.
I'm finding most of my images in the newspaper, although some of them have been cut from the catalogs and junk mail pieces that have showed up on our table. The matte finish of the newspaper seems to work best in the crude, hasty compositions that I'm making, even though you do get annoying showthrough on some of the lighter areas.
I'm a real beginner when it comes to collage so I'm regarding this year's daily art project as more a learning experience than a cumulative work of art, as I have tended to think of past projects. I think that by the end of the year I will be a lot closer to finding my voice in this new medium. Meanwhile I'm just enjoying myself.
Kathy's Daily Art. That blog also documents many of my previous daily art projects, as well as my continuing weekly photo posts.