Thursday, February 18, 2016
Breaking some more rules
Longtime readers of this blog may recall how for some time I have been chafing against the "requirements" of the traditional quilt format. Not sure exactly what psychological itch I am scratching, but I'm wanting to break more rules and explore new territory, while still sticking to my existing to-do list. Recently, for example, I've been experimenting with very heavy machine stitching, even to the point of totally covering the underlying fabric base.
Last week, while I was lying in bed at 2 a.m. not sleeping, I thought about a way I could adapt this new technique to one of my longtime series, the "postage quilt" format. I've made six very large and maybe a dozen relatively small quilts in this format, in which I construct a whole lot of tiny rectangles, each of them sewed individually as a little two- or three-layer quilt, and then stitch them together in a grid and suspend the whole thing in air.
But I realized, thinking in the dark, that I didn't have to be so damn neat about it! I could hold the quiltbits together with much more irregular stitches, and in fact, I could use the new technique I had just been doing with my stitched pyramids, dropping a whole pile of threads on top of the fabric and scribbling on top of them to hold them down.
So I went down to the studio as soon as it got light, and set up an edition of postage stamp quiltbits. With the addition of thread piles, the bits took on interesting texture as well as color variation. Here's what they look like, not yet sewed together into a grid:
I'll keep you posted!