Wednesday, September 19, 2018
Documenting the package project
Longtime readers of this blog may remember that in 2011 I did a regular art project in which I made bundles or packages of stuff that I found lying around in the studio or on the street. Although I had set up a blog specifically to record my daily art projects, for some reason I never posted my packages. I had rationalizations: it wasn't technically DAILY art because I only required at least one package per week, and I hadn't gotten around to doing a good job of photography.
Years passed, and at the end of August I had an impetus to clean up my act -- I am getting ready for a solo show about my regular art projects of the past. I wanted to have my daily art blog up to date with everything I've done since 2010, and also wanted to publish a magazine about the package project. That meant I needed to haul the packages out of storage and photograph them, which meant I needed a photography station with a better background than the green cutting mat that I had perched packages on at the time.
Fortunately I have in my possession a whole pack of foam core boards (yes, the corners are all bashed in, but that wasn't a problem with this particular use) and many yards of black cotton. So I made a photo booth:
And here are all the packages that were made out of packaging -- all the stuff that wraps, protects, swathes and bulks up the stuff we buy. It has always seemed criminal to me to throw all that away. I feel much better when I can wrap it up in a bundle, stash it away in a box and call it art.