Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Details of my Cinderella quilt

After I wrote about my "Cinderella quilt" last week, one reader asked whether I could show some closeup details.  Always happy to oblige.

As you can tell, the entire quilt is made up of commercial stripes.  A few were enhanced with fabric markers so I could get a wider variety of stripes; for instance, the black-and-pinkish-brown and black-and-red pieces in the top photo both started as black-and-white; the two-tone red pieces started as red-and-white.

At the left edge of the quilt most of the pieces are about an inch across.  Toward the right edge they're bigger, maybe as much as three inches across.  The fine lines of "mortar" between the "bricks" are about an eighth-inch wide.







I've complained in the past about how hard it is to find stripes these days; they're out of fashion, while polka dots are IN, IN, IN.  But I scraped together enough to make this quilt last year, and since then have discovered an online source for lots more stripes, so I'm happily embarked on more big projects in this same vein.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks! Your inlaid tiny strips add so much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy- I've been piecing my own stripes lately. I really like the control over color this gives me. Of course, there is the issue of added seams, but so far that hasn't been a problem for me. Congrats on you big win. Fiber Art VI AND Quilts=Art=Quilts both choose piecers for Best of Show. I like that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maria -- I've dabbled in piecing my own stripes but when I use white as one of the fabrics it takes too much work to keep it free of show-through from stray dark threads. I may go back to that technique eventually but not till I exhaust my three boxes of commercial stripes.

      Delete