Saturday, March 2, 2019

Last week on Art With a Needle


Not much happening in the way of art this week, as we are in California attending the Monterey Jazz Festival.  So far I have learned a lot in our educational sessions, including something profoundly disillusioning.

Ever since I took on the task of teaching myself to play Scott Joplin on the piano, I have clung to the mantra attributed to him and printed on his sheet music:  Ragtime should never be played fast.  This always made me feel better, because despite lots of practice, I could barely play it slow.

This week we were told that Joplin never said that, it was his publisher who didn't want to scare away potential customers.  And that real musicians not only played it fast, but won points among their peers for playing it fastest.  Now instead of feeling law-abiding I feel inadequate.

Here's my favorite miniature of the week:












You can check out all my daily art, miniatures and calligraphy, HERE.


No comments:

Post a Comment