Friday, April 26, 2019
Calligraphy update -- adding collage
As the second quarter began I thought maybe it was time to shake it up and add a new element to my daily calligraphy -- collage. My first experiment was to cut up one of the "home song" pages that didn't make it into my artist book, paste the bits down in my sketchbook and then write over the top. Unfortunately the card stock was so tall that the brush stuttered when it went over the edge.
I found a piece of thin paper on the work table and tore it into strips. The pen hardly noticed the difference in height so the writing continued seamlessly over the collage, more what I had in mind.
I also tried laying down blue painters tape in strips, writing over it and then removing the tape. I thought the composition was more interesting before I took the tape off, so maybe this approach is a dead end.