So here it is August of an even-numbered year, and people all over the world are frantically trying to finish up their entries for Quilt National. This has been my "summer vacation" since 2002 and yet again I'm wrestling with big rolls of quilt.
This one is being done with my usual parallel lines across the short way of a rectangular quilt, with my usual neatly rolled package that can (sort of) easily be manhandled through the narrow harp of my machine. I can't tell you how many quilts I've done just like this, and you would think that I wouldn't make dumb mistakes any more.
But no, the drapery-weight fabric I'm using as backing is acting passive-aggressively, probably because it's a hand-me-down and its previous owner apparently put it through the washing machine. That made it limp rather than stiff and thus prone to pleats on the back side.
In fact, the very first line of quilting that I sewed resulted in a pleat on the back side, which I had to unsew and restitch. Off to an inauspicious start. So I was kind of paranoid, checking the back of the quilt after every row of stitching to make sure I had done it right. That lasted for days, but yesterday afternoon I got complacent. I'm more than halfway through, getting toward the home stretch, and I guess my eagerness to be finished led me to move too quickly toward the next row and the next without checking the back.
Then I did check the back and OOPS! I had not only sewed a big pleat into the back of the quilt, but I had crossed it with six rows of quilting.