Saturday, February 9, 2019

Last week on Art With a Needle


After I posted about making heavily machine-stitched pyramids that would fit a "home" theme, Sylvia suggested that I might make a yurt.  That was an exciting idea until I realized that stitching the pyramidal roof to the cylindrical walls would require 1. careful measurement and 2. a bunch of hand stitching.  Decided to put that idea on hold until I have run with the pyramids as long as I can.  But thanks for the idea, Sylvia, it will stay on my radar screen.

After I posted that I'm having trouble making my daily calligraphy look more like drawing, Olga  suggested that I try asemic writing, in which what you see on paper resembles writing but actually has no words or readable characters.  I had done some asemic writing many years ago when I was in a bleach discharge phase of quiltmaking, "writing" with a squeeze bottle of bleach-containing dishwasher gel onto the wonderful old Walmart black fabric that discharged to gray and white.

War Rationale 2, 2003

So yesterday and today I did asemic script as my daily calligraphies.  They greatly resemble my normal calligraphic handwriting, even though I took pains to make "letters" that don't exist in the Roman alphabet.


Neither of these examples accomplish anything to make my calligraphy look more like drawing, but they are a step in a new direction.  Inventing new characters and letterforms is certainly an approach that has many possibilities, and maybe I will pursue that for a while.  Thanks, Olga!!

Meanwhile, Rachel suggested that I start with a text in an unfamiliar language or an unfamiliar alphabet and write it in mirror image or upside-down to focus on the shapes instead of the meaning.  I think that's a great idea and after I explore Olga's idea for a while I promise to come back to this one.

Having been a professional word person throughout my career, it's hard for me to not think about the text and its meaning, but maybe I need to work on this in order to push my calligraphy project more toward its intended objective of creating art.  After all, I didn't take on this year of daily art to become a better monk copying the Bible.

And speaking of not being able to read the text, here's my favorite miniature of the week:

You can check out all my daily art here.

1 comment:

  1. For the yurts, would it work to sew small tabs (ribbon? fabric strips?) around the top of the cylinders, then sew the other end of the tabs to the roofs? Depending on size, you *might* be able to sew both ends by machine.

    ReplyDelete