I thought a year ago that I might change the size of my daily embroidery, but no, I stuck with four-inch squares for the whole time. I thought I might try out different threads, but no, just embroidery floss (although about a month in, I went from six strands in the needle to three). I expected to riff on dates with repeated numbers, starting on January 2, and that continued.
First, I got much better at some basic embroidery skills. My ability to stitch nice curves improved, such that I could reliably make symmetrical circles and ovals that pretty much went where I wanted them to. (I did not sketch or mark any of my designs in advance; everything was freehand.) I learned to make elaborate featherstitching without having to look at the book in advance. My french knots got more efficient and attractive, especially after I read a helpful hint that you should allow your floss to untwist first for greater volume.
Second, I got much more confident in drawing, my lifelong weakness. While I still freeze up at the thought of drawing with a pencil, I seem to be far less inhibited when using a needle.
Third, I discovered that a lot of text was creeping into my daily stitching. It started with labels on drawings, and then graduated to no drawings at all.
Finally, I noticed that I apparently have an affinity for certain primal shapes and symbols. On many days of the year I couldn't think of anything to copy, draw or refer to, so I just doodled. And the same primal doodles kept coming back. I'll show you some of them later this week.
Meanwhile, today I start on a new daily art project for 2013. I'll tell you about that too in a later post. And remember, today might just be a fine day for you to start on a daily art project for the new year!