The rules of this tradition are that each ornament must include the recipient's name or initial, and the year. This year's ornament is almost all paper, a change from my usual approach of using fiber. I glued commercial scrapbooking paper in a music design onto thin wood blanks, then cut the initials and the date out of paper that I had painted with acrylics. Over the years I've cut a lot of letters out of both fabric and paper, but until now, never with an X-acto knife.
I had a lot of fun with my cutting, and never drew any guidelines. I generally cut from the back of the paper to keep the painted surface from getting nicks in it, and I think that working in reverse gave the letters an air of unexpected jauntiness that wouldn't have happened had I really seen what I was making.
About those Roman numerals -- aside from MM, MMI and MMV, on which I missed the boat, this is the last year in my lifetime that I'll be able to get away with just three letters, so I thought I'd better carpe annum. (Besides, it's easier to cut straight lines than curves, and I thought 2 would be especially difficult to render with a blade, 40 times, attractively.)
I inserted a gold hanging thread between the wood and the paper when I glued down the back side, and finished the edges with a bead of dimensional gold acrylic paint.
This year's material was new to my ornament repertoire, but I can't say the same for the typography. I have been chagrined in the past to realize that one year's ornaments were riffing on the same theme as a previous year's, and oops, I just did it again! I don't set out to copy myself, it just turns out that way. Exhibits A and B: